Accidents occur in a split second, and often are out of our control. They often result from someone else’s negligence and their affects can range from a minor disruption to your day, to significantly affecting every aspect of your life. One of the most common pieces of advice our attorneys give to drivers is: Be prepared! You never know when an accident could happen. Although you may be an incredibly careful driver, other drivers, who are share Oklahoma’s roadways with you, are not so careful. First and foremost, you should keep an emergency kit in your vehicle so that you are ready when an accident occurs. Your kit should include:
- A pen and paper for taking notes;
- A disposable camera (your camera phone works too);
- Information regarding medical allergies, and conditions that may require special attention;
- Emergency contact numbers;
- Insurance verification;
- A photocopy of your driver’s license;
- A First Aid kit;
- Cones, warning triangles flares.
When an accident does occur:
- Do NOT tell the other driver what you believe happened.
- Do call the police, and allow them to investigate the accident.
- Do take pictures: Of your vehicle, the other vehicle(s) involved, the accident site, and your injuries if you can. Camera phones have made this too easy to ignore.
- Do try to get witness(es) names, address(es) and phone number(s).
- Critical information you need to obtain from the driver and owner of each vehicle involved in the accident includes, names, addresses, contact numbers, insurance company info, insurance policy numbers, drivers license numbers, and license plate numbers. Often, the police report will miss a key piece of this information, so it is helpful to gather it yourself if you are able.
- If you feel ANY pain, report it to the first responders and go immediately to the hospital or doctor for evaluation. Do not delay.
- The adrenaline rush following an accident often masks the pain for hours after the accident. In fact, even if you feel your injuries are minor, you should still seek an evaluation from a doctor, because you may not be able to determine if you are in fact injured. I’ve had a client walk into our office 3 months after an accident, still having back pain, but having never followed up with a doctor after initially being seen in a minor emergency center. After advising him to go see his doctor, he later learns they learn that he had a shattered vertebra in his lower back. The three month delay in treatment made it very tough for us to pursue his claim. When you do seek medical treatment, tell the doctor that you were involved in a car accident, and explain to the doctor how the accident occurred. Getting prompt medical treatment is important for your health and well being, but is also important if you decide you want to seek legal relief for your accident.
- Do report the accident to your insurance company, but do not agree to give a recorded statement without first consulting an Tulsa car accident lawyer.
- Call Wandres Law as soon as you are able.
It is important to remember that the other driver’s insurance company, is not there to assist you. They are businesses that want to keep their money. We have potential clients approach us every week following auto, truck, and motorcycle accidents, and some have spoken to the opposing insurance company at length regarding the accident and their injuries, and have often given the insurer a recorded statement. Remember that anything you tell the insurer will be used against you in an effort to minimize the value of their claim. That’s the insurance adjuster’s job. They will not provide you with fair compensation without an experienced attorney forcing them to do so – that is why we have a job!
At Wandres Law, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to help you get the compensation you’re entitled to following an auto accident so you can focus on getting back to living your life. We have the requisite knowledge of the law, experience, and compassion to properly assist you. Call us at (918)-641-4044 OR (800) ASK WLAW for your free consultation with an experienced Tulsa car accident lawyer.