If you are involved in an accident and suffer personal injury, it’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, there are time limits for the amount of time you can file a lawsuit. This is also known as the statute of limitations. You have two years from the date of the accident or incident to file your suit in civil court, or you will not be able to receive compensation for your medical expenses and damages.
It’s important to know what your attorney will do during your personal injury suit. If you don’t hear from your attorney regularly, don’t worry, it means he or she is working diligently to get as much information and evidence as possible. Here is what a personal injury attorney does:
• Obtains witness statements, photos, police reports and more to gather evidence and to verify how the accident occurred and to prove who was at fault.
• Gather medical reports, bills, records and more to show proof of your injuries. In addition, employment reports and other documents are necessary to show other losses and damages, such as lost wages and property damage.
• Contacts the insurance company to get an offer for damages. Once an offer is received, it must be sent to you as soon as possible for review. You and your attorney then discuss it and possible courses of action if the offer is unsatisfactory.
• Files a lawsuit or demand arbitration if the insurance company’s settlement offer isn’t satisfactory. Generally, the defendant has up to 30 days to respond to the lawsuit after being served.
• After the defendant files their answer, discovery proceedings begin. This can include witnesses, experts and depositions from both parties. Your attorney uses discovery devices to back up your claim as well.
• Once discovery is finished, a trial date is requested. The date granted for the trial depends on where the lawsuit is filed and on the busyness of the court itself.
If you have have been in an accident in Tulsa, Oklahoma or through no fault of your own, contact Wandres Law to get in touch with a personal injury attorney at your earliest convenience.